We all fall off the wagon sometimes. It happens. We stumble. No matter what it is that you are working towards: a promotion at work, eating healthier, working out, saving money, or any number of other personal “missions” that are out there, you will lose your motivation at some point. It’s how we pick ourselves back up that matters.
Here are 7 reasons why you may be having trouble getting back into your groove:
- You are not getting enough sleep. This is probably the biggest motivation-killer there is. Experts say we each need a full 8 hours. However, being that we are individual people with individual needs, figure out the average amount of sleep you need to wake up feeling good. How much sleep does it take for you to feel energized? Figure it out and get that much sleep every night. You will be amazed at how much more you will get done in less time.
- You are doing too many “unnecessary” things. Make a list. Rank each thing you have to do in order of importance. Look at the bottom of that list and cross off things that don’t really need to be done. We have a tendency to do the things that will take the least amount of time first. However, these are usually the things that are not a priority and don’t really need to be done immediately.
- You need more sunshine. It’s winter. You are staying indoors much more than usual. Sunshine helps our bodies produce serotonin, which influences our mood. If you’ve ever heard of the “winter blues” or seasonal affective disorder, this is the cause!
- You need more exercise. Exercise helps your body produce…guess what? Serotonin!! Again, serotonin is the feel-good hormone in our body. Exercise=happy!
- You feel overwhelmed. Sometimes we are trying to take on a lot at one time. Narrow it down. Don’t look at the full scope of all that you must accomplish. Take it one step at a time. Remember, you eat an elephant one bite at a time.
- You have too much noise or too many distractions. Noise can include ambient noise or inner noise. Sometimes, you just have so much on your mind that you cannot think clearly. Likewise, distractions like checking social media accounts, while worthwhile, can pull you away from your goal. Find a quiet place and take some time to be still. Quiet your mind and clarity will result.
- You forgot why you started. Think back to why you began in the first place. Look for inspirational stories that relate to what you are trying to accomplish. Look for tricks or new ways to achieve your goal.
You can do this! You can problem-solve your way back into the saddle and back towards your goals. Follow these steps and push yourself. You are the only thing standing in your way.