Micronutrients are, perhaps, more important than macronutrients and
calories when dieting.
I know. This is not what you are led to believe. Every piece of information that you see focuses on counting calories, or macros, or drinking a detox tea, or whatever other dieting fad is currently leading the way.
No one talks about micronutrients. Micronutrients are the vitamins and minerals in our food. Without particular micronutrients in particular combinations, your body starts to feel bad.
Let’s talk about inflammation.
Stressed out, overworked, under rested, ill: Inflammation can occur for any number of reasons. The good news is that you can combat inflammation and a host of other issues by eating the right foods, which contain certain micronutrients.
Foods that decrease inflammation (and improve other issues as well)
- Fish, Walnuts, and Olive oil These foods contain Omega 3 fatty acids which reduce inflammation. In fish, opt for wild caught rather than farmed. Farmed fish are not fed the diverse diet that allows optimum nutrition.
- Green leafy veggies- Contain flavonoids that reduce inflammation. Swiss chard in particular is high in Vitamins A, C, and K which can help protect the brain from free radicals.
- Berries, cherries, oranges, and apples- Blueberries have a substance called quercetin in them that fight inflammation and cancer.
- Bok Choy- This superfood contains over 70 antioxidant substances.
- Beets- Repair cells that are damaged by inflammation. They contain Vitamin K and Magnesium. Magnesium is an anti-inflammatory and is important for processing Calcium.
- Broccoli- Very high in Vitamin K and Magnesium. Broccoli is an antioxidant powerhouse containing flavonoids and carotenoids.
- Pineapple- Has Bromelain which can improve heart health, keeping platelets in the blood from forming blood clots, which can decrease the risk of heart attack and stroke. It also contains Vitamins C, B1, K, and Manganese. Pineapple also contains heavy antioxidants and phytonutrients.
- Ginger- This is great for detoxing the body and can help in allergic or asthmatic situations.
- Turmeric- Contains a substance called Curcumin that has an anti-inflammatory component and can help rheumatoid arthritis.
Here are some foods to avoid if you are trying to eliminate inflammation:
- Refined carbohydrates such as white bread, doughnuts, and cake.
- Fried foods
- Sugar and sweetened beverages
- Red meat and processed meats
These foods can increase inflammation in the body as well as risks for diabetes, heart disease, and obesity. Arthritis, Alzheimer’s disease, cancer, asthma, and inflammatory bowel disease, as well as a host of other health concerns, are contributed to some of these foods.
Choose your foods wisely, keeping in mind that whole foods are always better for your body. This can help you to maintain a daily micronutrient level that will allow your body to perform optimally for many years.
Do what you can to learn as much as possible about the foods you are eating. You will sometimes be surprised at what you find!
If you like this post, please share with a friend!
Also, you may want to check out one of my Meal Prep posts!
See you soon!